Rocks roll through to next round

The Shamrocks firsts and reserves advanced to the third round of the State Cup on Sunday courtesy of two away victories that keep their season alive on all fronts.

Glen Wrafter’s men beat Czechoslovakia 4-1 at Tibbett’s Brook Park with strikes from Andy Horan, Joey Aronovsky, top scorer Brendan Lane and Mike Stone.


Horan opened the scoring with a breakaway goal, cleverly staying onside and slotting home neatly.

“That was the only time Andy managed to stay onside for the rest of the game,” joked Wrafter afterwards.

Aronovsky added the second after 30 mins cleverly knocking the ball around the keeper with a fine pice of skill.

Czechoslovakia pulled one back when Timmy Fetherston was harshly adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the penalty area and James ‘Scouse’ Wright was unlucky not to keep the resultant spot kick out.

Lane kept his incredible scoring streak going after an intricate passing move which culminated in some fine work down the left by Evan Madden-Peister and Stone to allow Lane to slot home from close range.

Stone, a midfielder by trade, finished the scoring, topping off a fine performance as the lone striker for the day with the Rocks forced to play without any of their four strikers.

Meanwhile in East Norwich, the Shamrocks Reserves battled through a thrilling cup tie against Fenerbahce Reserves, eventually overcoming their hosts on penalties after a 4-4 draw in normal time.

With both goalkeepers unavailable to Stevie Doyle, Ryan McKinley stepped up to the plate in a big way, rattling off some crucial saves in normal time and then saving three of the first four Fenerbahce spot kicks to give the Rocks an unassailable 3-1 lead.

Hat trick hero Dave Harvey also scored the first penalty having netted a free kick, a penalty and fine close range finish in normal time to overturn a 2-0 half-time deficit.

Michael McGreevy retook the lead for the Rocks after the home side had levelled it at 3-3 and after they brought it back to 4-4, outstanding captain Keith Cagney almost had a chance to score a memorable winner at the death.

It went to spot kicks then and after Harvey and McGreevy’s confident finishes, Ger Grehan slotted well for the third, putting the Rocks in position to record a memorable State Cup victory.

Earlier Sunday in Over 30s Division 1, Paddy Mc Carry’s side were extremely unlucky to draw 1-1 with NY Greek Americans at Randall’s Island. Striker Tayfun Gokmon was once again on the scoresheet for the Rocks.

Next week the firsts and reserves play Polonia NY on Roosevelt Isalnd (Saturday 8pm/6pm) while the Over 30s travel to play Clarkstown SC Eagles Tibbett’s Brook Park Field # 2 (Sunday 6pm).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s