Rocks move five points clear

  • Diaby on target again as Grogan’s men outgun Greeks
  • Wins for 1960 and Legends
  • Women held by CPR Red

shamrocks-sunday-schedule-graphic-1Ibrahim Diaby’s superbly struck first half free kick was enough to clinch another CSL Division 1 victory for the Shamrocks on Saturday night.

But Kevin Grogan was quick to look ahead to next Sunday’s Irish Derby after this 1-0 success over the Greek Americans at St Michaels.

Down several regulars, the Rocks struggled to finish off the game in the second half in spite of being the superior team.

Diaby stepped up to the 20-yard set piece halfway through the first half and clinically dispatched his right footed effort over the wall and into the far corner.


Ibrahim Diaby scored his second goal of the season on Saturday night. Picture: Dennis Schneider

The result pushed the Rocks further clear at the top, five points ahead of Pancyprians who were held to a 1-1 draw on Sunday by the Rocks’ next opponents.


“Big week ahead and a big game Sunday against Manhattan Celtic,” said Grogan. “We’ll be happy to have Jamie, Zachary and Laurie back available. It’s one game at a time as always.”

Saturday’s curtain raiser brought about another tough defeat for the reserves who rallied back from 1-0 down thanks to an Alex Wasilewski goal only for the Greeks to score a late winner on the break and against the run of play.

“We deserved a draw for the way we played in the second half,” said coach John Riordan. “We were missing a lot of players through injury and family commitments but the 11 lads that went out there fully did themselves justice and hopefully they’ll start to get the rewards for their efforts sooner rather than later.”

Meanwhile in Sunday’s games, there were wins again for Shamrocks 1960 and Shamrocks Legends, moving both teams on to six points out of a possible 12 in their respective divisions.

The Metro 1 game at Mola in the Verrazano Sports Complex finished 2-0 in favor of Andy Connolly’s 1960 side, pushing them up to fifth place in the standings.

“This was another tidy display from the 1960s,” said Connolly. “There was great communication and linked-up play across the team, and the absence of a noted keeper did not prove fatal. A great comeback performance from Ruairi Lavery and Joey Flynn bossed the midfield with grace. Paul McGinley did well both in goals and out field. Robbie Kennerney and Craig Glynn terrorized their defense.”

Tyrone Kent was the match winner for the Legends whose 1-0 win away to Barnstonworth moved Emmett Harvey’s men up to level on points with third placed Eintracht.

“After getting off to a tough start this campaign, we have settled in and we are now playing some great football,” said Harvey. “We kept a clean sheet and everyone really battled out there against a tough and well organized Barnstonworth Rovers team.

“Two wins in a row feels good and everyone is really enjoying their football, Some outstanding play from Tyrone Kent and as always our captain Richie Brennan was outstanding once again.”

The Shamrocks Over 30s long run without defeat came to a disappointing end with a 4-1 defeat at home to Manhattan Celtic. Bingo O’Driscoll was the first half goalscorer for the Rocks.

In the Metropolitan Women’s Soccer League, there was a 1-1 draw for the Rocks in Division A at CPR Red while the Division B encounter at home to Sirens ended up as a forfeit in favor of the Rocks, moving Keith Perez’s charges on to nine points and a share of first place.

Jackie Gawne had the Division A side ahead early at East 6th Street but CPR Red battled well and leveled the game late on, grabbing a much needed point to kick start their campaign.

“It was a tough day for us,” admitted coach Paddy Geraghty. “After a first half where we didn’t get started, we played much better in the second half. I thought we’d done enough to win it but they scored from a direct free kick with four minutes left. Sometimes you just have to credit your opponents and they played brilliantly. They deserved the point for the effort they showed.”